01204 325177info@nightingaleelectrical.co.uk  

Call Us Now On 01204 325177 - Email:info@nightingaleelectrical.co.uk


Consumer Unit / Fuse Board Upgrade

Why do I need to change my consumer unit to a 17th Edition ROD protected unit?

With the introduction of the recent (BS 7671:2008 incorporating amendment no 1: 2011) 17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations consumer units in the UK must provide RCD protection to all cables embedded in walls excepting high integrity circuits such as those for burglar alarms or smoke alarms

A residual-current device (RCD), or residual-current circuit breaker (RCCB) or residual twin-direct current couplet (1(21)2), is an electrical wiring device that disconnects a circuit whenever it detects that the electric current is not balanced between the energized conductor and the return neutral conductor. Such an imbalance may indicate current leakage through the body of a person who is grounded and accidentally touching the energized part of the circuit. A lethal shock can result from these conditions. RCCBs are designed to disconnect quickly enough to prevent injury caused by such shocks. They are not intended to provide protection against overcurrent (overload) or all short-circuit conditions.

What is the cost of changing our consumer unit?

The average cost of changing a consumer unit is £300.00, this cost includes registering the installation through the CPS (Competent Person Scheme).


facebook icon